I love sweet corn in the summer. Picking it up fresh from a roadside stand brings back so many fun memories. If you’re like me, though, you’re probably getting a dozen ears at a time that way. Now that I know how to reheat corn on the cob in the microwave and that it’s super easy, I just cook it all up at once. Then, I enjoy it all week!
So, let’s talk about how you’ll go about reheating your sweet corn to enjoy after that initial backyard barbecue.
Did you know you can also reheat fries in the microwave? Check out our guide for more fast starchy side options!
Can You Microwave Corn on the Cob to Reheat it?
Yes, you can microwave corn on the cob to reheat it. In fact, it’s one of the fastest methods available.
Your corn will still be juicy and delicious, and while you might lose some seasonings during the process it won’t wash it all off like boiling.
Speaking of boiling and seasoning, did you know you can also reheat seafood boil in the microwave? Corn is the perfect accompaniment to that as well!
The only downside is that microwaves tend to heat a little unevenly. However, you can take matters into your own hands and rotate your corn during cooking, or cut it into smaller chunks to mitigate this issue.
How Long Do You Warm Up Corn on the Cob in the Microwave?
You warm up corn on the cob in the microwave for 1 to 1.5 minutes on average. This may vary slightly based on the size of your ear of corn, as well as the wattage of your microwave.
|Microwave Wattage||Time Required to Warm Up Corn Cob|
|700W||1.5 to 2 minutes|
|1000W||1 to 1.5 minutes|
|1200W||50 to 75 seconds|
As you’ll note in the above, the cook times to reheat corn on the cob will vary around 30 seconds depending on the wattage of your microwave.
If you are heating more than one cob of corn up, you’ll need to add an additional 30-45 seconds to the cooking time to get both heated.
You can also cook your corn in the microwave to begin with. Check out our best microwave steamers, some of which easily hold a whole ear of corn! It’s a quick and easy way to cook it without having to fuss with boiling water.
How to Reheat a Sweet Corn Cob in the Microwave:
- Wrap the ear of corn in a damp paper towel
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds
- Flip corn ear over (rotate 180 degrees)
- Heat for an additional 30-45 seconds until center kernels are warm to the touch
- Remove from microwave to prevent residual cooking
Be careful unwrapping your reheated sweet corn, as the steam generated during the process will be hot!
If you don’t have a damp paper towel available, add about 1 Tbsp water to the microwave safe dish you’re reheating the ear of corn on. Then, cover with a lid or microwave safe plastic wrap instead.
You can also microwave a baked potato in plastic wrap, and I reveal how easy it is to create a delicious side in this article!
I reheat my corn in a 1,000W microwave. If you have a different wattage, please see my guide above for adjusted cooking times.
Check out our handy recipe card below for an easy recipe reference guide!
How to Reheat Corn on the Cob in the Husk
If you originally cooked your corn on the cob in the husk, the good news is that you can easily reheat it that way as well.
Treat the husk as the replacement for your damp paper towel. Simply spritz the husk with water, or give it a quick run under the faucet (just don’t submerge or soak).
Then, follow the rest of the steps for reheating an ear of corn in the microwave above. Remember, it will still be very hot. Let the corn cool down before removing the husk to avoid steam burns, or use gloves if you’re in a hurry.
How Long is Leftover Corn on the Cob Good For?
Leftover corn on the cob is good for approximately 3-5 days if stored properly in the refrigerator.
Alternatively, cooked ears of corn may be frozen for several months (Source). Simply thaw overnight in your refrigerator and then reheat in your microwave. So easy!
Once you know how to reheat corn on the cob in the microwave and realize how easy it is, you’ll never want to do it any other way. While the sweet corn is fresh and in season, I make sure to take advantage of it.
So don’t fret about grabbing that dozen ears. Simply cook it up, and what you don’t eat you’ll be able to enjoy as leftovers for days!
If you love corn, make sure to check out how to make air fryer corn casserole for another tasty option!
You can also start the day with creamy microwave grits with garlic and cheese!
Reheat Corn on the Cob in the Microwave
- Microwave safe plate
- Paper towel
- 1 cold pre-cooked ear of corn on the cob (with or without husk)
- Butter and seasoning as desired
- Wrap a damp paper towel around the ear of corn and place on a microwave-safe plate1 cold pre-cooked ear of corn on the cob
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds
- Flip corn over, using tongs if desired as it will begin to be warm
- Cook for an additional 30-45 seconds, until center of corn ear is warm to the touch
- Remove from microwave
- Carefully unwrap paper towel, as steam will be hot
- Top with butter and/or additional seasoningButter and seasoning as desired
- If you overcook it, the kernels will begin to split but the corn is still safe to eat
- For 2 ears, add an additional 30-45 seconds of cook time
- When cooking in the husk, wet that in lieu of the paper towel
- While the microwave method doesn’t wash off existing seasoning like boiling, I do feel that you need to add more after cooking to properly season it
- I’ve topped mine with some butter and Trader Joe’s Everything But the Elote seasoning blend
- Easy 1 Ingredient Air Fryer Roasted Red Peppers Recipe! - September 19, 2023
- Air Fryer Bird’s Eye Crispy Green Beans in Under 10 Min! - September 17, 2023
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Schnitzel: Less Oil More Flavor! - September 16, 2023